Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Quick Guide to Resources
Use Primo to do a basic search for just about anything: articles, books, conference proceedings, theses, and more.
Use the Journal Search tool to find a journal by its title or ISSN.
Use the Databases A-Z tool to go to a specific database. Searching within a database will give you a more focused search than using Primo but your results will be limited to resources within that specific database.
Each database is different and covers different resource types. To learn more about a database or find the right one for you, talk to a librarian.
This guide will provide you with information about resources available through Herrick Library to help support learning, teaching, and writing research.
The Counseling Librarian provides a number of services including:
- Information literacy and library instruction tutorials
- Resource instruction
- Research support
- Contact for book and journal recommendations
Using this Guide
This resource guide has links and information to help you start your research for Counseling. You can navigate to the following tabs above:
- Databases - this tab will explain what a database is and provide you with links to some of the most helpful databases for doing research in Counseling. You will be able to use these databases to access journal articles, newspaper articles, magazine articles, and more!
- Books - this tab will provide you with tools helpful to finding electronic and physical books inside and outside of the AU Libraries.
- Reference - Reference books include encyclopedias, almanacs, handbooks, guides, and style manuals. They can help you find quick factual information and are a good place to get background information. Use this tab to find out general information about your topic.
- Media - This tab will help you find video, images, and audio in library and internet resources helpful to your research.
- Research Help - Your instructor may have you conduct research for your Counseling courses. On this tab you will find two videos: one to help you research and pick your topic, and one to help you use the library catalog to search for materials.
- Selecting and Evaluating Resources - In your research you will find a variety of different types of information resources. Use the links and videos on this tab to find out more about scholarly resources and popular resources, peer reviewed resources, and how to critically evaluate ALL resources.
- Citation Help - In your Counseling courses and throughout your academic career you will need to cite your sources. Citing sources shows where you found your research, gives you credibility, and gives credit to the scholars that did the research you are using. This page will provide videos and links to help you construct appropriate citations for your papers.
, Athletic Training
, Computer Science
, Environmental Studies
, Equestrian Studies
, Global Studies
, Government Information
, Health & Medicine
, Legal Information
, LGBTQ Studies
, Medieval Studies
, Statistics - US
, Women's & Gender Studies